Essence of Avalon Tutorial?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 4

Essence of Avalon Tutorial?
Posted on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm wondering if there is a tutorial for the essence of avalon weave? I saw a picture of it and I think it's perfect for a necklace I am making.

Thank you.
dianna

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I think it's quite easy to make it when you look at the picture.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/subcat.cgi?mode=weave&key=7098
It's Japanese based and the ring-sizes are given.
Just give it a try! Good luck!

Maille Code V2.0 T6.3 R4.9 Eo Fhyb MFe.s Wci$ Cbc$ G2.3/0.129 I16.5-1.0 N29.26 Pn Dacdejs Xg23p1t2w1 S07

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:50 pm

That's is a very pretty unit. I would start by building the diamond with the large rings first and connect them with the smallest rings, then thread in the medium rings.

Submissions: 0

Essence of Avalon tutorial
Posted on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Well, it LOOKS simple, but working with the Aspect Ratio jumprings this author suggests as 'ideal', I find on my wire gauge/mandrel reference chart there are all three ARs under 16 ga wire (spot on) - but that's rather large in my book (especially for an AR 2.5 jumpring) using 16 ga wire.
I'm trying this pattern in 18 ga awg wire and find that AR 2.4, 3.9 and 5.0 are too small (can't get 4 jumprings through the 2.4 small rings as needed). So, will try these 3 sizes in a bit larger AR and report my findings...
Note the small rings (AR 2.5) are too small and too hard to open and close often as connectors, so best to close all of them and use the largest rings to connect parts, then add the medium size rings to complete the weave.
I suggest making a short length of chain of small and large rings first, then make the 4 points, then add the medium size rings on top.
Nancy B

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:54 pm

The AR's listed are for different gauges of wire in the same weave. (That's what the asterisk means in the AR info.) This makes a HUGE difference when trying to make a weave using different ring sizes other than the ones specifically listed. AR's just do not translate well when the rings are not all of the same wire thickness. As you found out, it leads to a lot of trial and error to find the sizes that will work.

Easy weave to make, not so easy to find the right ring sizes for.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1