Wire Supplier in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; also, a Question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Wire Supplier in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; also, a Question
Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:08 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi there,

I'm new to the site; please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place!

I'm looking for a supplier of 14ga galvanized steel wire in Edmonton. Can anyone suggest a store for me?

I've stopped in at Home Depot, and they sell 50' rolls for about $3.50. Canadian Tire doesn't sell any, and I can't find any on the Rona website. Where else can I try?

I phoned Bartle and Gibson asking about 14ga galvanized steel wire and the fellow asked me whether I wanted it in "Solid" or "Standard." What is the difference; is this the stuff I'm looking for?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

James

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:03 pm

You heard him wrong. He said stranded, not standard.
Stranded is what they use in suspension bridges and wire rope.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Ahh, thank you. So I want the solid stuff then. It comes in 300m (984 foot) spools at $119.28. Is that a good price? Seems pricey.

Also, can I expect that it will be covered in plastic if it comes from an electrical supply store? I guess I can ask him.

Where can I get good ol' bare 14ga galvanized steel?

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes that's very overpriced. At that cost you could order it online and get a better price even after shipping. I don't know much about your area but here in Minnesota 14ga galvy. is sold in nearly every hardware and farm store because it's used for electric fencing. I can get 2640 feet for around 40 USD.
As to the plastic coating, as long as it's galvy It shouldn't have a coating on it as it would be redundant to galvanize coated wire.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:08 pm

yea, that's overpriced.

it's hugely overpriced at home depot too, and yet you can get 1000 feet for about 90, still $30 cheaper than that

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Online retailer, hey? Any favourites? I expect shipping to Canada is more expensive and would take more time. I'll try finding a Canadian supplier online, but I think I'd prefer a brick-and-mortar store.

A farm supplier might do. I punched in your numbers and mine into a spreadsheet; here are the (rounded) rates I've gotten so far:

Home Depot -------- $0.07/foot (50 feet at $3.50)
Bartle and Gibson - $0.12/foot (984.25 feet at $119.2Uber

Your numbers ------ $0.02/foot (2640 feet at $40)

I think our dollars are about equivalent right now, eh? $0.02/foot sings to my Dutch soul...

Thank you for clarifying that galvy shouldn't be coated. Makes sense!

A sidenote: about how many feet would one need if one were making a shirt out of 14ga wire with an inner diameter of 1/4"? Is there a chart/tool for that? It'd be nice to know a rough number of feet of wire I should be purchasing. 2640 feet sounds like a lot, but I know how quickly the 50 foot roll disappeared, leaving a pittance of rings! Bollocks!

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Saradamon wrote:
yea, that's overpriced.

it's hugely overpriced at home depot too, and yet you can get 1000 feet for about 90, still $30 cheaper than that

The Home Depot I went to only had 2 little coils of 50'. I was a little miffed. Then they referenced me to B&G. Arg!

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:37 pm

The ring lord has 14ga galvy for $0.042/foot before shipping. They are located in Canada as well, but I'm unsure as to where.

The 1/2 Mile (2640 feet) roll that I bought was just enough for a hauberk and coif, however I was also making springs for my friends who were also interested in maille so that's not a perfect number.

Edit: The project I mentioned above was done with 5/16th rings, just slightly larger then the 1/4th your planning on using.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=117&cat=Galvanized+Steel+Wire&websess=37528550848306

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:57 pm

A quick Google search brought this up for me:
Even if they don't have a store front it might be worth giving them a call. If I'm right they are close enough that you could drive there and avoid the shipping.

http://www.phoenixfence.ab.ca/contact-us.aspx

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

The Ring Lord is the Ring/Wire supplier of choice for most Canadians...

Fast and cheap shipping, hefty discounts vs. buying wire locally too...

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Ah hah!
Thank you everyone!

It looks like The Ring Lord may very well attain a new customer. With shipping and a bulk discount it looks like I can get wire at about $0.04/foot for 30lbs (1740 feet); much more acceptable! I'm uncertain about the cost of ordering more (I expect the ratio to become more benevolent with larger orders, but we'll see).
I think I'll peruse the local suppliers a little more. A one-shop bulk shipment looks very attractive at this point in time, however.

Thank you for the rough estimate of 2640 feet. I know I've seen some methods of figuring out one's wire needs on this forum; I'll just sit down and do some measuring and number crunching.

Really, I am very thankful for the near-instantaneous help from everyone here. I'll definitely be back!

Submissions: 243

Posted on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:32 pm

The Ringlord is located in Saskatoon so shipping to Edmonton is fast and cheap.

The only way you're going to find cheaper galvanized wire than through the ringlord is by going to a farm supply store or a scrapyard, but keep in mind that the galvanized wire from TRL is much higher quality than hardware store galvanized.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:10 am

sirjeyhmis wrote:
Also, can I expect that it will be covered in plastic if it comes from an electrical supply store?

Electric fence wire would be entirely pointless if it were covered in plastic. The wire needs to be exposed to have any effectiveness.

As for your other questions, The Ring Lord has a calculator tool that will help you determine how much wire you need for your project. See here. The calculator will give you an idea of how many rings you need. After that, you just need to do some simple math to figure out how many feet that is. If you have any problems with that last part, let us know. There are plenty of math people here who can help you out.

For wire, I have purchased from this site before, Mazel and Co. They have a half mile spool of 14ga galvy for about $40. I don't know what shipping would be to Canada, but that would be easy enough for you to find out.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:46 am

Everyone pays some form of shipping. Everyone. In brick and mortar stores, they just factor the cost of their getting it shipped in into the price. Mail-order, by law, separates the base price from the shipping, probably mainly to show they're not jacking the shipping and handling on you.

Locally shopping, look to fence supply places and lumberyards. Seek out places that sell wire in bulk to people who use it by the mile. This is much less expensive than the packages hardware stores sell wire in, to people who don't need more than fifty feet.

For butted galvy links, if you have a choice of wires from whatever sources, pick the stiffer wire. Its links hold up better.

If you ever get so medieval as to go riveted, get nongalvanized wire, for you will be heating your links to red to normalize them -- a crude annealing process which saves the business ends of your piercing drifts. Steel heated to red is hot enough to vaporize the zinc of galvanization, and that is noxious to breathe -- gives you headaches and the twitches.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Alright, I've got 60lbs of 14ga galvy on the way from The Ring Lord. Thank you for the reference; I like the sound of their wire being stronger than average, and I appreciate the fact that I will no longer have to pester the unknowing hoard of retailers about my wire needs. Huzzah!

I was quite excited to see they have some nice mandrels as well! I don't have a drill press, so their grooved rods (reasonably priced) are an excellent alternative.

Also, their calculator gave a good idea as to how much I'll need. Discounts for bulk orders too!

Many thanks to everyone who has given their two bits. Once again, I really appreciate it!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next