Spot welding.....
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 21

Posted on Sat May 22, 2010 7:48 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Life has been stupidly busy of late, so sadly I haven't had time to do much for M.A.I.L.

Quick update

The current version uses two car horn relays, one to connect the power when a button is pressed, another that is delayed by a timer from when the button is pressed, and cuts the power.

This is giving much finer control over the timing.

If i have some spare time I'll do a circuit diagram, but for now hopefully this will help ...

and if you have any specific questions please post them, and i'll do my best to answer.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun May 23, 2010 8:20 am

thank you, this definately does help. Only one question so far. Wouldnt the IGBT(Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) that I have work pretty well for switching current as they are designed to handle very high voltage and amperage?

Posted on Sun May 23, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't know if the IGBT will handle the current,

The car horn relays are designed to handle 60 amp at 12 volt,
though I suspect that for the short time the weld is being made significantly higher amperages are in play...

If the IGBT isn't rated to 60A then i'd expert it to die a quick death,
even if it is it may not survive...

Still if the IGBT didn't cost you much, and you have no other use for it ...

What is it rated for?

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 pm

going by its part number, 1200Volts and 400Amps. I bought it for this project awhile back, but became busy and had to table the project for a bit.

Posted on Sun May 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Good luck then Smile

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6