Chat Forum Locked Post
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 20

Chat Forum Locked Post
Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:08 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I locked it.

As I said in the post, it's getting to the point where harassment can start...
I won't allow this sort of situation to get any further out of hand.

I understand that people are upset, and rightfully so, but once you've sent an email that's it... Stop chasing the poor woman... If she doesn't reply, or doesn't do what she's said she will, that's between you and her and the courts, and no longer needs to be a matter of public record.

I have very little tolerance for this sort of thing, as how our entire community is perceived from the outside is just as important to me, as whether or not we all play nicely on the inside.
I'm also worried about the legal rammifications for MAIL, if we allow our members to goad each other into pestering this woman...

So I apologize if I came off as a little heavy handed, but there you go.

I also propose we put together a set procedure for handling this situation.
The rough points I stated in the chat room are a guidelines of what I think should happen... But there's plenty of room for improvement.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 73

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:38 am

2 points:

1, absolutely no complaints from me for locking the threads. People tend to whip each other into a frenzy about these things, often needlessly and counterproductively so.

2, thank you thank you thank you for noting what adminly actions you took and why you took them. There's been a fair amount of anonymous admin locking/moving/deleting activity that's upset the members and confused the other admins. It shouldn't be too difficult to make a quick note of what official actions an admin takes, so thank you for being so thorough.

-phong

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 am

Good call DL, and reasoned....maybe a reference link in the locked thread in MAIL help also? Just to make everything connected with the explanation? I thought about slipping a link in there, but not comfortable doing that when it's just as easy to mention here, for you to consider, and not a big emergency.

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 am

a "moderator action" stickied thread would be useful for edits and deletes.. i would have been happy to note my actions a month ago in such a thread. it might make for more cautious moderating if we have to explain what we were doing as we do it. we have a long history of a moderator doing something that not everyone agrees with.. having a place to note and possibly discuss these issues could be good for us.

according to:
==============
5.1.1 - Day-to-Day Decisions
Any member of the board is also a member of one or more of the governing groups, and has duties related to membership in that group. Day-to-day decisions and actions (for example, approval of submissions to the M.A.I.L. website) are undertaken by a director in his/her area(s) of responsibility without prior approval of the B.O.D., but are subject to published guidlines for their area of responsibility and review by the B.O.D. and/or the membership at large.
==============

moderator actions are subject to review. having an official place to handle these reviews, on the occasions that they are requested would be in line with the charter.

how difficult would it be to change the "delete thread" code to "hide thread/post from membership" so that it is easier to review moderator deletes.. i got a PM about one yesterday, which i tried to explain how and why we do those kind of things.. but he did ask for a review of it, and there was nothing official, other than me making a best guess as to what happened and dealing with things behind the scenes via PM..

i also agree that we should have an official policy on how to deal with content theft.. and perhaps a polite form letter to offer up for members to use that they can add their specific information and urls into. this might help reduce nasty emails from an understandably frustrated membership when this kind of thing occurs.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 am

Well I have to admit, I did get a little caught up in the frenzy. I think you did the right thing DL.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:34 am

sakredchao wrote:
how difficult would it be to change the "delete thread" code to "hide thread/post from membership" so that it is easier to review moderator deletes.. i got a PM about one yesterday, which i tried to explain how and why we do those kind of things.. but he did ask for a review of it, and there was nothing official, other than me making a best guess as to what happened and dealing with things behind the scenes via PM..

Difficult? I don't know.
Doable? Yes.
Twice? No... As my usual response goes lately... Wait for 3.0 Very Happy The new phpBB should give this functionality... And if not, I can code something in.

Useful Links

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:55 am

yeah, i was thinking in terms of 3.0.. not immediate..

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 am

sakredchao wrote:
yeah, i was thinking in terms of 3.0.. not immediate..

Cool Very Happy

Apologies if I've been short, I've been at work since Friday...

Useful Links

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:39 pm

As I mentioned over in the 'Oops thread' and along the lines of sakredchao's suggestion, if the “delete thread” function could be altered to a “move to non-public space” function that would give us the ability to un-oops an accidentally deleted thread while getting a problem thread out of the public eye immediately. There used to be a hidden forum that was only used for some system testing early in 2.x that hadn’t been used for anything since. Having a place like that with only admin access to dump the thread in would get it out of harms way. It should then take super-admin rights to actually nuke said thread into oblivion with only moderator level rights needed to move it back from whence it came. We would need to make sure all admin dialog about any threads so moved still takes place in the open for all to read admin forum in order to maintain transparency.

3.0 would be a fine time to implement this, but sooner, if possible, would be better… Wink

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 am

i didn't read it as being short, DL. you're working on rolling out 3.0. there's no need to hack into frankenstein twice.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1