Hourglass Dodecahedron and Truncated Icosahedron
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

Hourglass Dodecahedron and Truncated Icosahedron
Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

FerrousKnight showed me a picture of his Hourglass Dodecahedron one day in MAIL chat. I was fascinated, so of course had to make one myself. I used FerrousKnight's tutorial.

I showed it to Ferrous and Cynake in chat and they said, "yeah, now go make a Truncated Icosahedron." I said, "I don't know what that is." And Cynake said "that's because you're just a girl". (I'm pretty sure he was just kidding, but feel free to beat him up. Very Happy ) Turns out it's shaped like a soccer ball or bucky ball, and Ferrous was the first one to make one, then Cynake... and now me. Ta da!

I don't know if anyone else has made the Truncated Icosahedron. These things are really fun to make!
The rings used for both balls are 1mm enameled copper with a 7.4mm ID.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 am

It's too bad that you think this is any kind of accomplishment. I made the same mistake.

CShake has made a Rhrombicosidodecahedron. I can't even pronounce that, though apparently, while not the most complicated figure, it is the Archimedian solid with the longest name. So, there's always that.

I couldn't even figure out what the next geometric progression is, nor did I want to. The Truncated Icosahedron took me the better part of a day.

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 am

That's it, I'm out! Surprised Surprised Razz

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 75

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:43 am

Yeah lorraine, way to be a follower. I bet you just joined Twitter too. Geez.

For once in your life, do something original!

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Nicely done lorraine, i Like the color combos!

I too have also made a few of the truncated icosahedron and they are fun to make, I've even put a dodecahedron inside one of them Very Happy

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

You know, I was really happy living in "Lorraine's Fantasy Maille World" where everything I do is new and original. Reality bites... I'm going back. Very Happy

Phong - what is this "Twitter" of which you speak?

Eld Fagel - pics, or it never happened. Razz

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm

I see that nobody else is impressed, but I have to say that I think it is cool. Surprised While the Rhombi...... is impressive I like the open feeling of your Truncated Icosahedron. Looks as if it would make a great ornament.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Looks awesome, love the color combos. I love the Icosahedron, I think thats my next chainmail project! Have done the other and loved making it.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Oh great. Look what you've gone and done now Lorraine. See what happens when you share stuff? Ferrous shares with me, I learn and share with you, you learn and go tell the whole damn world. Awful.

Now look at all the people who're going to go learn, and then soon *they'll* start sharing and ugg. Now everyone's learned something and they're only going to share and only be encouraged to keep learning and sharing until this whole damned community is nothing but people learning and sharing. Someone needs to put a stop to this.

What's next, gonna steal Ferrous's JPL9 submission too? Oh wait... too late...

Cat's out of the bag, might as well join in on all this "sharing" crap I guess.

Trivia: Dodecahedrons and Truncated Icosahedrons are only 2 of the many possible 3D tessellations possible. One thing they have in common, is intersections are a maximum of 3 connections (or in this case, always 3). CShake's Rhombicosidodecahedron requires 4, which is why he couldn't use the same weave, and in fact, why he couldn't even use orbital like he planned, because there is no room for 4 orbiting rings at those angles, (his requires rubber rings to fit).

Many different tessellation patterns require different amounts of intersections, but, there are far more than still are possible with only 3, and thus possible with the hourglass weave. I don't know how many more, but at least a handful.

Geometry isn't something I know anything about. I'm sure a geometry nerd would know this stuff off by heart and go crazy about all the possibilities.

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:10 pm

OMG!! I actually got Cynake to share some of his maille with us. Hell has surely frozen over peoples!

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 46

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 pm

This is a very good attempt to turn my attention away from my One Ringe Size Basket. It'll be a hard fight to return to the basket and finish it in time.

GREAT WORK!!!

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 am

Surprised Surprised Surprised You know I've not been around lately, maille slump....but I had to comment....I can't believe Cynake actually posted pics of stuff he's made!!! You are a miracle worker Lorraine!!!!

Lovely work to all you crazy peoples and your maille that makes my head hurt to think about making!!!!

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Lorraine - Great job not only on your piece, but getting Cynake to share. You get this weeks prize. Very Happy

Cynake - you are correct you should keep your maille creations to yourself. If you keep on sharing like this you might start everybody on a new creative mailling frenzy and the universe might explode. Razz

You do wonderful work thank you for the inspiration. (looks around was that the universe expanding?)

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 75

Posted on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 pm

OMG!! Cynake has actually made maille! The other 3 horsemen are surely on their way, peoples!

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 6

Posted on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:55 pm

Nice balls everyone!! Ya, someone had to mess this up...leave it to me!

Seriously, my peanut sized brain can barely make Japanese balls. So, all of these look great to me.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next