Does anyone know about any good metalworking courses?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

Does anyone know about any good metalworking courses?
Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:26 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So I'm not sure where exactly a question like this would belong, but I was wondering if anyone had a sense of anywhere where there would be any good metalworking classes over the summer.

essentially, my school is granting money to a few students who have interests that they want to pursue, and so I was hoping to study metalworking. I've done a good bit of independent research, and found that many courses are being taught either over long periods of time or as week long courses in the fall/spring, which aren't exactly suitable for me. I was hoping to maybe do a jewelry making course, or a general blacksmithing course, perhaps bladesmithing. also, do there tend to be age limits to these courses? I'll be 17 by the summer, but does there tend to be a minimum age requirement?

Much thanks,

-Rophu

Submissions: 6

Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 am

Howdy Rophu, welcome to the board! Coif Smiley

I have no idea where you're at, or about other parts of the country, but Austin Community College in Austin, TX has a great metals program that even has 8-week long classes that run through the summers. Here're some links to the summer class schedules at ACC, to maybe give you an idea of what to look for in your area:

Jewelry (Summer 2010) -- http://www3.austincc.edu/schedule/s210u/jewl210Uf.htm

Welding Technology (Summer 2010) -- http://www3.austincc.edu/schedule/s210u/weld210Uf.htm

I just graduated from ACC with my Associates in Applied Science in Jewelry. Not very many junior colleges offer jewelry though, so it's sort of hit or miss as to whether or not you can find the kind of education you're looking for at your local junior college.

I hope that helps in some way, good luck! Very Happy

-Deborah

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 am

Age limits depend on the school/class you're attending. 16 is usually sufficient from my observations.

For this class you wish to attend, do you intend to travel for it or does it need to be close by? If distance is an issue, you really need to tell us where you're from, the state (if in the US) at the very least. Better details will help us to give you more useful information.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks! I'm up in Rhode Island, and have been all my life. Travel isn't too much of a problem, but I'm not sure that my new england blood could stand the Texas summer.

I'm still looking though, Thanks again!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1