Captive crystals in chain maille
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:26 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Dinwar wrote:
Listen to ZiLi, for he is wise. Coif Smiley (And if you're female, I apologize and can only blame it on learning French.)

Taking a quick look at his profile to confirm, Zili is indeed a male.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:35 am

Vorondil wrote:
Dinwar wrote:
Listen to ZiLi, for he is wise. Coif Smiley (And if you're female, I apologize and can only blame it on learning French.)

Taking a quick look at his profile to confirm, Zili is indeed a male.

I found this humorous.

Anyhow, I'm glad I took a 2nd look at this thread. Just stumbled upon a whole baggie of assorted Swaroski 4-6 mm bicones. My question is how'd you afix the string with out it jumbling everyplace and looking really bad and all. Oh I'm using a thin fishing line. Tying knots in the stuff is a pain. I was thinking some sort of crimping....but I'm never crimped stuff in maille before.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:50 am

Oh yeah. I am REALLY, IN FACT a male (say: the last time I looked, I was, and my wife may be able to confirm Very Happy ) - think about the fact that in today's web sixty years old single males disguising as 16yr old females is much more common than the other way around...

About a string of bi-cones or other beads, and fitting in a hollow tube chain, WITH alignment line: The most common method is to affix the line at the clasp. And yes: Crimping is the method to prefer over knotting - even if nylon coated steel thread is used (what I prefer over fishing line). The crimping itself is relatively easy - most times easier than obtaining the fitting crimp tubes...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:48 am

Attach the strand to one of the first rings. Just the standard crimp tubes and smash them with a pair of pliers and you are set. The difficulty with this is that you have to crimp both ends, so the strand has to be close to the desired length minus clasp, etc. You have to watch that you do not make it too tight or it will lose its flexibility. So you want the rings to bunch a little and the beads to be strung a little loose. Does that make sense?

The problem I have with the crimping of the bead strand is that when you get done, if it is too long you are stuck with it. If you can put a temporary knot in the end of the bead strand that would be ultimate. So my problem with this whole design is that I can't size it up or down. What I end with is the final size. Most weaves you can be flexible with.

Hope this helps.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm

It does, thanks. Now moving on to the experimental phase Laughing

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2