Goodbye to M.A.I.L.
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic Reply to topic
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat
   
Author Message

Joined: January 21, 2009
Posts: 75
Submissions: 0
Location: Pearland, Texas

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 pm || Last edited by Edward the Red on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I hate long goodbyes..

Yeah, im back, but thats because im repeating history with another hernia recovery, but thats another story for another day.
Ok, maybe its just me, but it seems like this whole long drawn out goodbye is just a futile attempt to get the last word by all parties concerned. When I split a joint, and actually feel the urge to anounce my goodbye, i stick that one post and leave. I don't draw things out, probably because I don't care about having the last word. This whole thing is blowing up into multiple threads across several of the forums and its all the same one note song.

Can't yall get past this and drop it? Christ in Heaven, this whole mess has about as much point as a celibate prostitute.

Lets all agree that I get the last word and drop this whole thing Razz

Joined: April 29, 2002
Posts: 3213
Submissions: 93
Location: Albany, New York

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:12 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Here's my problem. Why would anyone pull their content from MAIL just because they don't like the way folks talk in the forums?

If you don't like the forums, don't visit the forums. 80% of the hits this site gets have nothing to do with the forums, and 50% are not from registered members. This site is supposed to be a library and gallery. The forums are a minor sideline.

It's fair to say that MAIL is the number one place on the internet for research, instruction, and inspiration on maille. By pulling content, you are potentially causing that content to become effectively unavailable to the majority of seekers out there. MAIL, of course, will continue to exist just fine without any one submitter's content, so basically, only those who come here looking for inspiration and/or instruction will potentially be hurt by it.

Seems a little petty, don't you think? We have plenty of registered members who rarely if ever visit the forums, but still submit to the library, making their contribution to the mailling community despite not wanting to be a part of the forum community.

Effectively, someone removing their content because they don't like things people have said in the forums is precisely as childish and mean-spirited as the eight-year old who stops the game so she can take her ball and go home. It helps no one but their ego, and most damages the people who were not involved in the first place.

Grow up, people!


"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw
___________________________________

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Joined: August 06, 2008
Posts: 170
Submissions: 2
Location: Loves Park, IL

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:28 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Wow, alot has happened. I'm not very active here anymore. Not that I was very active at all really. An occasional poster and I always came here to kill time while I was at work. I've learned a lot from this site and the people here just by reading posts in the the knitting circle and in the gallery. Without this community I wouldn't still be doing chainmail, I would have given up long ago.

unfortunately I haven't really kept up with the boards over the last 6 months after getting laid off. But I noticed this fracturing starting before that even. It's really sad that it has come to this for some people.

It's terrible to see some heavy contributors to the site leave in such an ugly fashion.

Some people talk about being constantly attacked and targeted, sure I've felt attacked and targeted on a rare occasion, but in all reality, you cannot decipher emotion from words on a screen, at least I can't. You may think you are being attacked but in reality you probably aren't and it's all in your head. I've had to go back and re-read things before just to try and get the message.

But, in spite of all of this, life will go on and MAIL will continue to exist.

Joined: January 10, 2009
Posts: 615
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:02 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=14741

Joined: March 12, 2006
Posts: 770
Submissions: 9
Location: Huntington, WV

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Clever Wench wrote:
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=14741



Is this really necessary?

Joined: May 25, 2008
Posts: 70
Submissions: 1
Location: Northern Ireland

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yep, I think maybe it's time to calm down, give people a chance to catch up with requests that have been made and maybe all enjoy the rest of the holidays, tis the season of love and friendship after all.

Joined: January 10, 2009
Posts: 615
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:42 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Frankly, I just want my stuff off this site, period. After that, you hear absolutely nothing from me.

Joined: April 15, 2002
Posts: 1823
Submissions: 1
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada.

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

twistedhazel wrote:
Yep, I think maybe it's time to calm down, give people a chance to catch up with requests that have been made and maybe all enjoy the rest of the holidays, tis the season of love and friendship after all.


For those that are concerned by the way, there's only been 3 members who've asked for content to be removed, the 2 that quit and one that has announced they were quitting several times before. And, only one member has asked weaves be removed, and apparently not for anything recent, but because they misunderstand how weaves will be used in the future. The rest are just gallery pictures.

One member had a *lot* of gallery pictures, hundreds, and it's the holidays, hence, the queue is a bit clogged.

Some people are entertaining themselves, and gloating publicly, elsewhere about how much work and trouble they're 'causing for admins here. *shrug*. There is a proper way to remove content from the website, if you follow it, and give people a little time, it will happen. No one's content is being held hostage.

There's a thread I created in the Admin room about how to handle some recent, and some old issues, in a mature fashion, and to help keep MAIL a positive, useful community the way you want it to be (whatever way that is). It's being tweaked before it becomes stickied in the Knitting Circle (if it will), but anyone anyone who has big concerns right away may probably find it of some use.

Again, no need for any further drama or attention. Everything's working like it's supposed to be.

Joined: August 23, 2004
Posts: 1491
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:07 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Clever Wench wrote:
Frankly, I just want my stuff off this site, period. After that, you hear absolutely nothing from me.


Then go into your My M.A.I.L. panel and request your last weave be deleted. Sorry, we have to follow protocol when removing members submissions, even if they have said on the forums they wanted it deleted.

The queue is clear now so there's no waiting, only took a few minutes. Once you request your weave to be deleted it'll be gone.

Joined: January 10, 2009
Posts: 615
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Deirdre wrote:
Clever Wench wrote:
Frankly, I just want my stuff off this site, period. After that, you hear absolutely nothing from me.


Then go into your My M.A.I.L. panel and request your last weave be deleted. Sorry, we have to follow protocol when removing members submissions, even if they have said on the forums they wanted it deleted.

The queue is clear now so there's no waiting, only took a few minutes. Once you request your weave to be deleted it'll be gone.


I have done this repeatedly.

Joined: April 15, 2002
Posts: 1823
Submissions: 1
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada.

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:14 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Clever Wench wrote:
I have done this repeatedly.


Take a deep breath.

Wait.

Demonstrate some patience.

As you can see in your other thread, we can't see it.

For everyone else who is thinking something fishy is going on.. let me try to explain this. It's boring, and technical.

There is a problem with users that have spaces in their username. Sometimes, randomly, when those users do something that accesses the database, it makes random things disappear. It's a glitch. It can take (and does take, and has taken) an entire day of spare time for a coder to hunt through the database and fix problems with this glitch.

If you think anyone's making this up, go look through past threads where coders have discussed the headache it causes. It took forever to even figure out that this was resulting from users with spaces in their names, and when it was, it took two tries to stop new users from having that, (once on new users signup, once when renaming).

It's not consistent. Part of the reason no one has gone through and forcibly renamed all users with spaces in their names (not unique to CW, Ferd De Mann for example, and many others)... is that making *that* change causes MORE database errors which all have to be fixed. It makes random other people's weaves or articles disappear for example, and there's no way of finding out what it did unless someone notices. Most of the time, there's no issues with those users, so it's a "don't fix if it's not broken" kind of thing.

A very simple, polite "Hi, I wanted some submissions of mine deleted. I said this publicly, but I also flagged all the items I wanted deleted yesterday. They haven't been deleted yet. Is there some error on my part, or have they just not been attended to yet? Any idea when it will be taken care of? Thanks." would be plenty, and would be helpful in pinpointing the issue. Or really any issue, like from any other member who suddenly found his article is randomly blank (I caught one earlier this morning).

Coder time is in short supply.

No need to get mad or make demands at people.

Also, it's the holidays, seriously. I think DL's spending his lunchbreak right now pouring through the database trying to make you happy.

Have a heart.

Joined: March 12, 2006
Posts: 770
Submissions: 9
Location: Huntington, WV

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:23 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm a headache =( lol I signed up before the issue was around. Now I can exist as a glitch sweet Laughing

Joined: April 15, 2002
Posts: 1823
Submissions: 1
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada.

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ferd De Mann wrote:
I'm a headache =( lol I signed up before the issue was around. Now I can exist as a glitch sweet Laughing


Ayep.

A bunch of people were historic. Then, the coders found the problem, and thought they patched it. Months or years passed, and then they found out they hadn't, and had to patch it again.

This is part of why it's taken 3x as long to rebuild MAIL as was expected. It really is a nightmare.

It's like two people looking at a plate of spaghetti. One person points to a single noodle and says "Where does that go, what does it do, what other noodles does it touch and impact?" and the second person shrugs and gives them a blank look. If you want to spend months on it, you can eventually find out. Coders *have* spent months on it. Blaise's time used to be spent just patching these random glitches. DL's in his 2nd year of patching/retrofitting and trying to upgrade to better forum software at least.

Eventually, I expect, weird crap will happen with you because of your username too. Consider yourself warned Very Happy

...

Also, for disclosure, I'm not a coder. I don't touch the database. I'm just trying to save the actual coders some time by explaining what I've heard discussed over the years, so they don't have to. I'm probably wrong on some of the details, but, that's the gist of it.

Joined: June 17, 2007
Posts: 532
Submissions: 21

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all,

Hope you and your loved ones are happy and well.

I've been a member here a couple of years, though recently i haven't had much time to contribute, but i though I'd offer up a few comments...

Firstly, I've always felt welcome here and didn't realise there was anything wrong other than some friction between a few members who happened to also be admins, until this post, and having read the whole thread I'm glad it doesn't seem to be the disaster it appeared to be at the start of the thread.

The closest I've ever felt to being bullied is disagreeing with Cynake, sorry but the tidal wave of words that hit you as he supports his view is, well intimidating Smile but that i think is more because he is passionate than anything sinister. to my mind that is not bullying, that's a discussion and an exchange of views, and that's a good thing. for me a lot of good has come from reading through Cynake's replies, so thank you Cynake, I hope this bit has not offended you.

I am very sad to see Legba, and to a lesser extent the others go. Sad because we will miss out on their valuable contributions, and sad because it seems to be with ill feelings, I hope the new forums go well, but I don't have time to visit the MAIL forums as often as I should, so I doubt i'll have much of a chance to visit your forums for a while. but all the best, and you will be missed.

To those considering leaving and those deciding to stay, please think about what you say, this has upset me a little, and it may well upset others, and for some it might be what in a stressful time makes them decide to quit entirely, which i doubt is what anyone wants. Please play nice.

Thanks.
And best wishes.


Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Joined: March 12, 2006
Posts: 770
Submissions: 9
Location: Huntington, WV

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Cynake wrote:

Eventually, I expect, weird crap will happen with you because of your username too. Consider yourself warned Very Happy



So in light of all thats occurred if I decided to upload 200 gallery subs I'd have some very ticked off coders to watch out for?

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
All times are GMT. The time now is Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:24 am
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat
Display posts from previous: