Suit #8, the Juggernaut
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 19

Suit #8, the Juggernaut
Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:59 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

This was by far my most ambitious backfire ever. XD

I started out making what I presumed to be a 'moderately heavier, but immensely more protective while still remaining mobile suit of chainmaille.'

Boy was I ever wrong....

The suit is immensely protective, at 5/6" 14 ga. half TRL galvy, half hand spun galvy. An honest sword slash would be turned aside quite well. The copper is 12 gauge electical copper, 5/16" ID, for added strength in the inlays. However...

The weight is quite prohibitive. It weighs in at an estimated 55-70 lbs (haven't stepped on the scale while wearing it... Kinda worried I'll break it...), and I can't cross my arms in front of my chest while wearing it, because, even though I made the back a handsbreadth wider than the chest, and bending my arms more than ninety degrees is problematic. The cloth that I wrapped my hair in (so as to keep from getting scalped while donning and doffing the suit) gets stuck in between my back and the suit, and I can't get it out, because my arm motion is too restricted.

However, I can lift both arms as high as I want, so any combative motions I'd need to take would be more than doable, and the full length of the sleeves draws the chest out wider, giving me more room to breath, even though the suit is about as tight as it can be and still allow me to wear it. The sleeves ARE quite heavy, and holding them up straight out from my body is difficult, but by simply bending my arms, it becomes much more tolerable. I added beltloops to the suit, but I think I put them a bit low, because it bunches quite a bit under the arms and about the waist (and makes an otherwise awesome looking suit look much more poorly made).

The inlays down the sleeves turned out quite nicely, I think...

Maille Code V2.0 T6.7 R5.3 Eo.f Fbyz MAg Whi$ Cew$ G3.25/0.55 I12.7/1.42 W24.29 Pa Dacdejtw Xa2g20p4t0w5 S03

^^^ Dude, this code is so out of date for me now... I don't even remember what it means! ^^^
The unintentional God of Chainmaille,
Brandon Cornwell

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Even if you can't move too well......at least you look Cool as Hell standing there!!! Awesome job! Love the inlay on the sleeves. Very Happy Very Happy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:38 pm

I agree with the cool as hell statement and I'll add intimidating to it as well

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks! I feel intimidating as hell, even if I can't move too good while wearing it... I posted this up on TRL as well, and I got an AMAZING bit of advice that I CAN'T BELIEVE slipped my mind! I could just undo the back of the shirt a bit, and add an expansion from just under the shoulderblades up to the neck, until it was as wide as I needed it (I am guessing another ten links would be just fine, MAYBE fifteen), rather than undoing the entire spine and reworking the skirting and all to match.

So, if you ever get a suit done, and dismay at the back being too tight, don't dispair! Just add an expansion, and it'll fit MUCH better!

Maille Code V2.0 T6.7 R5.3 Eo.f Fbyz MAg Whi$ Cew$ G3.25/0.55 I12.7/1.42 W24.29 Pa Dacdejtw Xa2g20p4t0w5 S03

^^^ Dude, this code is so out of date for me now... I don't even remember what it means! ^^^
Brandon Cornwell

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I haven't gotten brave enough to try a shirt yet how much wire did it take?

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Yep that expansion would work but of course would add to the weight! I think considering the weight it would be a horseback suit.
Very very cool.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:19 pm

All I can say is WOW that is an amazing piece of maille. Is there any significance to the design on the arms?

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Jim: Well, if you figure a half a mile of wire to weigh about 45 lbs (if I remember correctly) then this would have about 3/4 of a mile of wire in it. I could be wrong though... I haven't weighed a spool of wire in a while, and I haven't weighed the suit yet.

You can also figure that the approximate ring count of this (if we go with 62.5 lbs, and about 550 rings/lb) is 34,000 or so. T get a close approximation, multiply the diameter (5/16, or .3125) by basic Pi (3.14) to get the approximate wire per ring (.98125:/ring). Multiply that by the approximate number of rings, and you get the approximate amount of wire (33362.5 inches, or 2780.208 1/3 feet, or roughly half a mile.

So my estimated weights might be off... Trust that if you are slightly smaller than I, or if you go for short sleeves, you'll be able to make it with about half a mile of wire. Or you could use 14 ga. wire and 3/8" rings. That would work well too. It'd be lighter and easier to work.

Legba3: The slight addition to the weight would, at this point, be nearly negligible. It'd be, tops, 500 rings (prolly closer to 300), which is less than a pound of rings. I think the extra weight would be worth it, for the added mobility.

Horseback suit... That ALWAYS make me thing of chainmaille barding... *dreams...*

Thanks so much for your compliments!

MusicMan: Thanks for your compliments! I'm glad you like it. No, there really isn't any significance to the inlays down the sleeves, beyond the fact that I designed them on the Irregular Grid Painter that has been such an amazing blessing to the Chainmaille Inlay community. I like the celtic style knots, braids, and twists, and, originally, it was going to be a braid, but I couldn't figure out how to do three strands rather than two, so it turned into a twist instead.

Brandon Cornwell

Submissions: 7

Posted on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 pm

14ga galvy is damn heavy and i really like the inlay on the sleave

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Cool.

The best thing about 14g shirts is how quickly they go together (compared to smaller gauges needing smaller ID rings and therefore more rings).

Sleeve inlays are cool looking too.
I'm almost tempted to have a go at designing a braid - maybe someday.

And yeah it does look a little tight, you can see in the pics that the mesh is close to full stretch across the chest. Good luck fixing it, i'm sure you will. It's never a question of can it be fixed its just a question of how long its gonna take.

Again - Cool.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:05 pm

but dang you look good!!!

fantastic shirt also! Uber

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Fantastic, and i'll third the intimidating comment. heh. Good luck on getting if loosened up a bit!

Submissions: 6

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:07 pm

That's awesome.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Posted on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:33 am

Looks great!

I had a byrnie in 12 ga. galvy at 5/16, and it alone was over 35 lbs, so your estimate of 50 odd lbs is probably not far off.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 pm

That is really awesome! You do look very intimidating in it and cool also. The inlay is cool as h$##! I know quite a few Amtgard people who would die for that.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next