noob question on hauberk
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

noob question on hauberk
Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am trying to make a hauberk with 5/16 ss 16 gauge rings. I have about the top half and a 6" sleeve on one side. I am following a pattern that does the 45 degree to make the sleeves run the "right way". What I have noticed scence I put the 6" sleeve on one side is that when I lift my arm I am lifting the entire side of the hauberk on that side. Seems like that would make you very tired very quickly in a fight. Have I done something wrong? Here is the link to the pattern Im following. http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/4200/hauberk.html
It did not work exactly as I read the pattern, but I got it very close to what it said.

Thanks for all input !!!

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:29 am

I'm going to guess here: When I lay my shirt out it wants to lay in a tee shape (sleeve grain runs 'wrong way'.)

When you lay your shirt out does it want to lay with the sleeves aimed a bit downward?

I'm not very good at explaining things, sorry. If that didn't help at all I can try again, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:55 am

yes, it lays with the sleeves pointing slightly downwards. Im guessing due to the 45Degree angle were the chest meets the shoulders.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:22 am

Yay! I helped.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:58 am

well the 45deg is not really 45deg is one cause of that, but thats not going to stop the mesh from moveing. any time you move there will be some movement thruout the mesh. this is simply the natcher of the thing. the longer your "barrel" section gets the less of it will move, or more accuratly the more it will spread out. if right now all yo uhave is the upper section then the movement may seem larger thet it will be by the end.

some contractions/expantions later on in the chest section and under arm sections may lessen it further, but it hard to tell you ware to do these as it depends on the person wareing it. Be shure to give room for that gamesman still.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:19 am

You're not going to like the shirt you make that way, for that reason, Penguinview. The down slant to the sleeves is exactly what you don't want. It is why you're lifting that whole side, and that is something that shirt type is prone to.

Try this one instead. You can recycle every bit of the sleeve you've already made, even if you have to take it apart into rectangles and rotate them. Closed hang of the mail weave is helpful on the body -- it means you can take the shirt off easily in the approved "bend-grab collar-shimmy" method that enlists gravity to help slide it off -- but isn't as important on the arms, so you can get away quite nicely with open hang there, as the linkrows on your shoulder section just follow down your arm.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 am

So, how's it coming?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1