More stolen images: PLEASE READ!!!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

my opinion: if -your- content was stolen, don't even contact the clown again, go straight for his host.

aim for the deep pockets.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 pm

I recognize a few of the images from google searches. Three of them are from TRL.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 pm

His site appears to be down again.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Rock on.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:09 pm

I just did a WHOIS on the domain, can't say this means what it says, but what I'm seeing is

Last Updated On:24-Oct-2009 02:29:31 UTC

When I compared this to my own WHOIS info, It was totally different. But the "prohibited" to me makes me wonder if he's been shut down by his host?

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086"> Maille Code</a> V2.0 T4.7 R4.1 Ep~f Fds MNb.a&Ag.a Wh Capw G1.6/0.6 I6.4/2.0 N28.26 Pj Djs S08
<a href="http://chubbs-99.deviantart.com">Deviant Art</a>

Submissions: 93

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:19 pm

While Peter is still listed as the owner of the chainmaille.org domain, he has either contracted or sold it to a spam engine/domain auction company called sedo.com via their sedoparking.com website.

I have to assume this means he has given up entirely (at least with this domain!).

In other news: Anyone want to buy a domain?

http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?domain=chainmaille.org&tracked=&partnerid=&language=us

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Blaise wrote:
While Peter is still listed as the owner of the chainmaille.org domain, he has either contracted or sold it to a spam engine/domain auction company called sedo.com via their sedoparking.com website.

I have to assume this means he has given up entirely (at least with this domain!).

In other news: Anyone want to buy a domain?

http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?domain=chainmaille.org&tracked=&partnerid=&language=us

Irony anyone?

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:55 pm

This was clearly all just a big advertising scheme for his domain. Piss off a huge amount of people, get a community behind them, and then when everyone's looking, put it up for sale Razz

Genius. Next time I want to sell a domain I will do this for sure.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:21 pm

There are too many good creative domain names still out there, just get creative in your search.....www.imaille.com....I could list a dozen available names....shouldn't have to pay for one.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 93

Posted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:32 pm

You *always* have to pay...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:32 am

Girls are like internet domain names; all the good ones I like are already taken, but you can always get one from a strange country.

And I agree with Kodiak, you shouldn't have to pay for one, but I also agree with Blaise, one way or another, you pay.

Posted on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:12 am

Its only the registration of the name you need to pay for. Which is generally only $10/yr, and thats nothing to worry about. Hosting + Dedicated IP + SSL certificate is where your big dollars are going to be spent on a good website. :|

Cynake wrote:
Girls are like internet domain names; all the good ones I like are already taken, but you can always get one from a strange country.
Lmao... Its soooo true Laughing

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086"> Maille Code</a> V2.0 T4.7 R4.1 Ep~f Fds MNb.a&Ag.a Wh Capw G1.6/0.6 I6.4/2.0 N28.26 Pj Djs S08

Posted on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:35 am

Dork! Yeah, the site is gone...

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:15 am

I know the issue is over with for now, but since this started, I took the time to read over the EULA for Photobucket, and unfortunately if you have your photobucket account set to anything other than private, a stipulation in the agreement grants use of your images to anyone else with a Photobucket account.

Quote:
6.1 Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content’s privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable.

Personally, I don't care if what he was doing was borderline legal or not, he's still a thief.

I didn't take the time to look at the EULA from other services he was using to steal images, but I suspect they had similar stipulations.

I did check Flickr, since I also post images there and they do not have any such BS policy. Having never tried, I don't know for sure how to link images from Flickr, but that seems like an easy solution if this happens again.

--Charon

Posted on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:40 pm

... I knew there was a reason I stopped using my photobucket account Laughing let alone ever make it public. I would agree that public image sharing sites would likely have the same stipulation, hence image "sharing" site. AFAIK though, sites like Deviant art let the submitter keep copy write (going to have to read the ToS & EULA now..).

Hmm, Host monster claims to give pretty much unlimited everything (including bandwith), and I can see it in my cPanel. I'll have to read up the ToS there too, wonder how hard it would be to set up an 'private' image hosting site so people don't have to worry about situations like this in the future. If they allow such things on their servers

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next