throwing axe Vs 1/4" 14g rings.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 15

throwing axe Vs 1/4" 14g rings.
Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I figured out that a throwing axe versus 1/4" 14g butted rings does not last. i cut clean through it while the hatchet i'd thrown glanced off but still left a mark. Thought that might be of interest.

"What's the point of livin' if you don't try?"
"Life goes exactly as you hadn't planned it."
"Don't look back at what might have been, and what you coulda done."

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:06 am

14g 1/4" what? Very Happy

Bright Aluminium, no big surprise there.
Inconel, colour me stupidly surprised Coif LoL

Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Woops, my bad. Galvanized steel.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:29 pm

As I guess, that the result of such an experiment relies on the circumstances:
free hanging, or with backing? If backed, hard or padded?

-ZiLi- (being curious)

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Hmm, i am gonna have to do this differently then. i had it just Hanging up against a log. Padding would probably change what would happen, wouldn't it?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:22 pm

It realy depends on what your trying to test.
there are many variables such as material distance and type of axe that will effect your results.

axes in general acts as a throwing club more then anything else in combat the closeing target is more likely to bestruck with the handle or back end of the axe then the blade.

Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:59 pm

That's true, but i'm just seeing how easily the blade is able to cut the chainmail from 20 feet away. Gonna try with padding behind it soon.

Posted on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:57 pm

I made a shirt of mail about 12 years ago first one ever i had made. I showed a former boss of mine and gave him a simple and short story about mail. He asked me how strong my shirt was and i told him i wasnt sure.. He asked if i trusted it if he hit me with a sword while i wore it. 12 years aggo and in my early 20's i said sure. I put the shirt on and told him to just not stab me so i raised my right arm up and he swung away. The blow knocked the wind out of me , knocked me about 8 feet away and down to the ground. At the time i thought my ribs were broke but luckely later to find out only severely bruised. The shirt was made from 16 guage galvy. Some rings were badly distorted and broken. Im older now and would never do it again but i was happy at the time to to tell my boss i told him i would live. Lol

Posted on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 am

Impressive, bet you didn't do that again. I'll try to get some pictures up also to see if padding might change how easily the axe sliced the the chainmail.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 am

Now if you want to go for real accuracy, you should put a gambeon and hauberk on a fresh whole pig from the butcher and see what happens. Might meet too little resistance if you hang it though, better to find some way to stake it's feet in the ground.

Let me know if I get too morbid here. ;>

I can tell you this much though, an axe is a driven wedge. (Force applied perpendicular to the narrow edge.) It will have practically the same effect as pinch cutting your rings and really isn't the sort of thing maille is good at resisting. Most swords are designed as a drawn wedge. (Where the force is somewhere less than perpendicular to the narrow edge.) Literally drawing the blade across your target as much or more as you're forcing it directly against. The sharpness of the edge does the work rather than force alone, just like any good knife. When applied against maille armour, the maille will buckle a little, and you probably will too, the edge of the blade tends to skip across the surface.

Yes, you can swing a sword like a baseball bat and drive the sucker right in there, probably cause quite a mess too, but part of that mess will likely be your weapon.

Posted on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm

montanaflash23 wrote:
That's true, but i'm just seeing how easily the blade is able to cut the chainmail from 20 feet away. Gonna try with padding behind it soon.

maybe that blade was sharp, I really appreciated the blade that is really sharp to use.

blade empire

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Quote:
I made a shirt of mail about 12 years ago first one ever i had made. I showed a former boss of mine and gave him a simple and short story about mail. He asked me how strong my shirt was and i told him i wasnt sure.. He asked if i trusted it if he hit me with a sword while i wore it. 12 years aggo and in my early 20's i said sure. I put the shirt on and told him to just not stab me so i raised my right arm up and he swung away. The blow knocked the wind out of me , knocked me about 8 feet away and down to the ground. At the time i thought my ribs were broke but luckely later to find out only severely bruised. The shirt was made from 16 guage galvy. Some rings were badly distorted and broken. Im older now and would never do it again but i was happy at the time to to tell my boss i told him i would live. Lol

If you had worn some sort of padding underneath the maille it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad. Maille prevents cuts, slices, and stabs. Blunt force is prevented by leather and anything that is made up of sheets.

Quote:
I figured out that a throwing axe versus 1/4" 14g butted rings does not last. i cut clean through it while the hatchet i'd thrown glanced off but still left a mark. Thought that might be of interest.

You should also see what happens if you use smaller ID rings.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1