Help please with silver wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 1

Help please with silver wire
Posted on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello

I am in need of some help i got the chance to bulk order silver wire which is like a dream for me cause it so expensive, but i have hit a bit of a problem i need to know what type to order . how pure the silver wire must be i make everything from necklaces to bracelets and earrings, and am scared that if i order it to pure it will be to soft and wont work and i don't want to order to impure and then it doesn't count as silver wire anymore so my question is its 1 meter of 1mm silver wire how many grams of silver is in it and how pure like eg.50 % and when does it stop being silver wire and if I am totally wrong about all this please could you explain it to me. my main thing is i want to make good stuff and not rip people off ,

thanks for help please pardon all bad spelling and bad grammar

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:14 am

There are two types of 'Silver' wire...

Fine which is 99.9% Pure
and
Sterling which is 92.5% Pure (Often marked as .925)

Both are considered 'Silver', though different halmarks exist for both types.
The kind commonly found employed in jewellery is Sterling Silver, it varies in hardness, and you should be able to order a specific 'temper' for the wire... Half-Hard is considered 'standard' amongst maillers, for most applications with Sterling Silver.
Another type of Sterling is relatively new on the market, Argentium Sterling, which is the same purity, with a different makeup of the remaining 7.5%... It is more resistant to firescale, from what I understand.

To answer your question... Fine Silver is generally used for 'wire wrapping' while Sterling Silver would be best for ear wires, maille, generally jewellery, etc...

There does also exist 'Filled Silver' and 'Silver Plate' but these are generally considered inferior. Silver Plate is often only plated with a VERY thin layer of silver, which rubs off easily, and can be 'eaten' away by body chemistry. 'Filled Silver' is also really not worth the fact that it is only 1/4 or less 'Silver' for the price...

Hope this helps.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:12 pm

so would I be able to use both ? okay I am going to talk money here I live in South Africa okay and it is costing me 22 Rand a meter for 1mm silver wire okay now the stuff I am looking at getting is for electrical cable i can get the 99.9% pure silver , now the thing is if i get the 99.9% stuff it will only cost me 6 rand a meter but must be bought in 1kg roll

so its almost almost 4 time cheaper, if people now where to get silver wire bulk please let me and the ring lord isn't an option although i really like there products and the service there is spot on, when the items come into the country custom's see the name and the mark up"custom duty's" is is terrible

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Please remember that 99.9% (Fine) silver, is soft...
And *anything* used for electrical wiring tends to be 'dead soft'... Which means it is VERY weak...

I am unable to help you out with any suppliers for Silver wire in South Africa... Perhaps there are other members on the forum who can...

I suggest making a post in the Knitting Circle asking about suppliers closer to you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1