thats all i ever use
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Submissions: 0

scrap ring hauberk
Posted on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

i have never made a hauberk but i am in the middle of one now. i make belts out of 14g 1/4in AA and had the idea to use the extra rings to make a hauberk. if anyone thinks this is a good idea i would be willing to help but i dont thinki am the one most qualified to put the whole thing togeter. I think it would best if the rings were as many different colors as we can get and in as little order as we can manage.

This space intentionally left blank.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 am

What are your rings made of? Steel in this size will be ridiculously heavy.

It'll be really dense, anyway, so it's fine if that's what you want. I was going to make a hauberk out of 1/4" 16 ga, but I couldn't get 16ga, so I'm using 14ga 5/16" rings, and they're great. Anything denser is really overkill.

Also, I found that at the size you're doing, very small differences in the ring size can significantly affect the way they weave. I've been using the score-and-break method to cut my rings, but it makes them painfully tight at this size. Sawed rings are probably worse. But when I pinch cut them, the squashing increases the size enough to make it more practical, though it's still annoying.

But if you do it, you can probably trust it against a blade, and I'm not joking about that at all.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:49 am

i use aluminum. i have been makeing 4in1 belts for about a year out of them in aluminum and steel and even one in 100% copper and they all work fine. they have full movement and the al ones are light.

This space intentionally left blank.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1