WANTED: small sample of specific rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Trading Room

Submissions: 19

WANTED: small sample of specific rings
Posted on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:56 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm working on a suit right now that is going to be the largest single garment that I have ever made. It will have been the seventh suit I started, and hopefully the eighth I will complete (started and finished a copper vest since I started this suit).

The suit is 14 g. 5/16" rings, with 12g. 5/16" copper rings for trim/decoration. I've already got about 30 pounds of rings or so into this design, and I'm only MAYBE halfway done.

My question is thus; How close to handmade rings are the 14g. 5/16" rings from TRL, machine cut? I can get another 30 pounds delivered for just under $170, and my hands would more than love me. Took too long of a break from hand cutting links (I ordered my copper for the vest comission) and all my callouses are gone, so I'm blistering back up, and I want to have this done by Ren Fest season, in June. I know, that's 6 months away, but, at the rate I'm going now... My 1,000 link/night rate has been cut to almost nil as I wait for my hands to heal up again... I think the tannic acid in the oak that I work with (I run the headrig on an all-oak sawmill) is making my hands more tender...

My request is thus; If someone has some rings setting about, 14g. 5/16" galvy steel from TRL, I'd like to get a small sample, like, maybe 10, 20 links, to put together and weave into the suit, to see if I can notice the difference. If I can, then I know that I am simply damned to cutting my own links. If I CAN'T, however, I can buy the rest of my rings and save my hands the trouble of cutting it all.

If someone could get back to me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Coif Smiley Just reply here or send me a PM with what you'd like for them and the shipping. Other info would be if someone has worked with the TRL galvy, and compared it to their own handcut rings. Any feedback on this product, really, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BC
Brandon Cornwell
The Celtic Chainman

Maille Code V2.0 T6.7 R5.3 Eo.f Fbyz MAg Whi$ Cew$ G3.25/0.55 I12.7/1.42 W24.29 Pa Dacdejtw Xa2g20p4t0w5 S03

^^^ Dude, this code is so out of date for me now... I don't even remember what it means! ^^^
The unintentional God of Chainmaille,
Brandon Cornwell

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 am

The answer to your question is: "Not close. Not close at all."

Point One: TRL has machines which manufacture the rings with (to my knowledge) near-zero tolerance for size deviations. Even with as soft a metal as galvanized steel, there will always be more springback in handmade rings than in machine-made.

Order your rings from TRL and you will have an obvious difference in appearance, function, and maneuverability, albeit a minute one.

Point Two: The join quality in machine-made rings is vastly superior to anything achievable by hand-cutting. Assuming you are using bolt cutters to cut your rings, the "><" ends pale in comparison to the negligible indent on the outside edge of the ring ends on machine-made rings.

The ends sit almost exactly flush, look seamless at a distance, and are not as prone to slipping through one another as other methods. To my knowledge, only saw-cut rings have better join quality.

If these are acceptable losses to you, then it is my opinion that you would be better off in ordering your rings from TRL henceforth, provided you are unable to create your own saw-cutting rig. Automating the process yourself would eliminate wear on your hands, provide better joins, and reduce overall costs and labour.

If you are worried about differences in ring size, appearance, and join quality, I would suggest firmly lodging your bolt cutters in a table vise, finding a sturdy pipe to slip on the top handle, and using the extra leverage to power through the links by hand.

There are many tutorials and such covering the construction of cutting rigs. If you are able, I would advise looking at such a setup for your next project.

Hope this helps.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:37 am

Note: The following is from my memory; I am unable to remember the source of this info. However, I believe that my memory is correct, as this was rather important to me due to its effect on aspect ratios.

From a size standpoint, they are supposed to be equivalent to hand-wound. If you look at TRL's stock, you'll notice that the actual IDs and the nominal IDs are different; the actual IDs also differ slightly for different materials. This is supposed to be so their machine-cut rings can directly replace hand-cut ones.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:08 pm

I hadn't thought they'd done it that way, but I suppose it's possible that they would. TRL cares more about its clientele than any other company I've seen.

Posted on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:07 am

I think I got this, you need:
14g wire, galvy
5/16" diameter ring (inside or outside)

If that is right and you still need it lmk via email.
I have a ring machine so it wouldn't be hard....

later,
Jesse

"When good men die there goodness does not perish/ But lives though they are gone."

Euripides

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1