Necklaces rolling up!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Necklaces rolling up!
Posted on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:29 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

My 6-in-1 maille necklaces and other designs have a tendency to roll up when they're being worn. I've yet to place my first order with TRL, so for now I'm using nickel alloy rings (around 6 and 5 mm from the craft store.) Can anyone advise?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Euro 6-1? if made the way I'm thinking, larger ID rings on the outer rows will help prevent that.....but pics would be good to see the situation.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks, Kodiak - the necklace I'm describing is actually on the cover of Dylon Whyte's latest book, and is called a "cocktail maille lace collar". I think I mgiht be able to solve the problem by using heavier beads at the bottoms of my necklaces, because several of them do tend to roll over once they're around the neck. Possibly, heavier materials (stainless?)might work too.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Don't know which one you're talking about. Looked online at his covers, but you kinda need to be able to at least tell us what weave is it.....I've seen a Japanese weave on one of his covers, and his newest book, not out yet, has a beaded kind of thing on the cover....how bout a pic of your necklace?

Legba's suggestion is a good one, used quite a bit for doing what you're desribing....weighting down the outside to get it to lay right, but I would want to address to problem if I could, and not just relieve the symptoms.

Now using stainless, thinking it's heavier, well....sterling is heavier than stainless steel....to get heavier, you'd have to think of going with a larger gage.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Humm like Kodiak says without knowing exactly what the weave is, it's hard to say but I think smaller rings on the inside (top of neck) and larger rings on the outside (bottom of neck) would surely help with Euro weaves.

On a personal note I think that book is a rip off 99% of the tutorials are already here and the ones that aren't I could write!

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 12

Posted on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 pm

I've had similar problems with 'rollup' effects. Its due to light weight edges...or lightweight beads being used. I've changed it by adding heavier connecting rings on the bottom edges or changing from acrylic to glass beads or even gemstones.

Anything adding weight to the bottom usually keeps the problem at bay for me.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1