A Tale of Two Jump Ring Cutting Systems. (Sad ending)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

A Tale of Two Jump Ring Cutting Systems. (Sad ending)
Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:50 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Short background information: I had been cutting my rings very successfully with a Pepe jump ring maker setup, happy as a clam, when I found that I was virtually unable to cut anything larger than about a 7.5mm diameter (ID) ring without completely ruining the metal and placing my bodily health at risk, see this post:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=136749&sid=d0660ccf325f1d2d8b5737c56c3a3fe1

Well, I broke down and bought the genuine Jump Ringer and find that it has problems unique to it as well. This is just a narrative of my experiences so far with both cutting systems.

In general, the whole Jump Ringer setup seems to be made of higher quality material than the Pepe setup. It has a few problems, though.

The blade collar (the thing you put the handpiece into...sorry if I'm using other-than-true terminology) has been changed, apparently, from the original. There are no longer three adjustment screws to tighten down on the handpiece...now there's only one, directly opposite the opening for the blade. This causes the blade to cut into the aluminum of the collar. When I spoke to Ray Grossman about this, he said it was okay, just to cut through the aluminum collar and it would make a slot for the blade. This worked as he suggested, and didn't ruin the blade as I thought it would. This problem actually isn't as annoying as I had first thought it would be, in fact, it makes it easy to know if the blade is in alignment, which could be a plus.

The hub of the cutting head itself (the blade holder) diameter is so large, that it spins against the top of the jig while you're cutting. The more firmly you press down on the coil, the more it wants to bind up and stop mid-coil. This has created a channel in the metal top of the cutting jig that is not exactly smooth. It creates a LOT of heat and friction and makes cutting smoothly virtually impossible. This problem in itself has made me go back to the Pepe for most of my cutting purposes.

I do like the coil jig for the Jump Ringer much better than the one for the Pepe...I like the different sized slots for different sized rings. My only critique of the Jump Ringer coil jig is that it doesn't have the spring-loaded tightening screws like the Pepe has. While they don't really add much to the functionality of the cutter, they are handy.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to cut a ring any larger than about 7 1/2mm (ID) on either cutter for some baffling reason. For the record, I do use plenty of lube and my coils are tight and well aligned. I asked Mr. Grossman about cutting at slow speeds, as had been suggested to me in the other thread, but he said that definitely wouldn't work...you have to cut at high speed. He did suggest placing a wooden dowel inside the coil as close to the size of the coil as possible, which I did. I didn't really see much difference. I still haven't managed to cut a decent coil of large rings with either cutter, and this is supremely frustrating! I do, however now have about 2 ounces of sterling silver scrap from trying!

I had hoped that the Jump Ringer would be the end-all be-all of ring cutters and just further illustrate the lesson of "You get what you pay for" but alas, that wasn't the case.

Any suggestions from people who have successfully cut large rings with either of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:13 pm

I have an older/original Jumpringer set-up,(10 years old) which I cut everything with, soft metal wise, up to 10awg and 1/2 inch rings, and it's the only way to go....unfortunatly, Ray has really screwed up, and fixed it....things that didn't need fixing, because some folks that buy and use it don't have any intuitive capacity, have made stupid suggestions, and Ray has modified the rig thus....idiots.

I was fortunate enough to think I might need a few extra arbors, so I've got spare old ones, good thing, because I've found that you can tweak them, although you can drill out the post and put a 1/4 inch shaft one it, making it tougher to bend, on that one I've knocked the keyway out also, making it harder to shatter blades when I'm doing big stuff.

The groove in the block is also FIXED, it's too long now....and in the end, all these little improvements have IMO, made it a lower quality tool.

Three of my students have bought the new models, and I've done my best to re-work parts and cutting technique to make this jig more like the old one.

I've called Grossman and bitched, and it would be nice if everyone dissatisfied with the unit would do the same....it's hard to know what to complain about when you haven't used the original, but, let him know your complaints, please!

Bring back the old Jumpringer!
Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

sad
Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Kodiak,

I do need to contact him again. He's a very nice man, but I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. I really expected better.

Posted on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:46 am

He is a nice guy, and really took the time to design and engineer a quality jumpring cutter, nice tight tollerances, and good material....don't know why he bowed to the pressures to change it....his only explanation to me was people asked for the changes....maybe if he gets enough negative feedback....but then new buyers don't have the benifit of using the older design.

Kodiak-

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Kodiak,

I sent you an email...

Posted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:02 am

No you didn't....try this one;

charlie@charlieschaincraft.com

Very nice etsy Ocean.

Chaincraft Mandrels

Thanks!
Posted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:05 am

Thanks for the compliment, Kodiak...I tried the "correct" address this time!

Re: A Tale of Two Jump Ring Cutting Systems. (Sad ending)
Posted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Ocean wrote:
Well, I broke down and bought the genuine Jump Ringer and find that it has problems unique to it as well. This is just a narrative of my experiences so far with both cutting systems.

In general, the whole Jump Ringer setup seems to be made of higher quality material than the Pepe setup. It has a few problems, though.

Ocean, can you please tell me or direct me to a link to what you refer to as
"The genuine Jump Ringer" in this post?

I have something called an Italian Jump Ring Maker. Its a very heavy black hand operated gaget that weighs a ton. The problem is cutting the jump rings from the coil. I was thinking of buying the compact Pepe.

What do you recommend today?

Posted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Quote:
What do you recommend today?

A lot has changed in 5 years. Look into this as well: www.Ringinator.com

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 pm

WoW!

Even with all the trawling over the internet for two weeks I didn't find Ringinator!

Ringinator is amazing, and its my very next purchase. Its the perfect machine to work alongside my Italian Jump Ring Maker.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1