Pepe jumpring cutting disaster - Help!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Pepe jumpring cutting disaster - Help!
Posted on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've been cutting my own jump rings for a while with a Pepe Jump Ring Maker and a Foredom Flexshaft. I've had very good success cutting 18 and 20 ga. Argentium wire with the smaller blade.

I needed some 16 ga. rings this weekend and tried to cut them with the (recommended) larger blade...what a disaster! The blade got bound up about an inch through the coil and then started chunking silver wire all around the room (thankfully I was wearing goggles). Never being one to give up, I cleaned everything up, checked the blade for tightness (yep, it was tight) and proper direction (I once tried to cut with the motor in reverse, but that wasn't the case here). I put in another coil of wire and tried again...same exact result...mangled rings and this time it ate all the teeth off the blade.

I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong. The coil was in the holder firmly, but not so tight as to distort its shape. The blade was tightened down and it was the larger blade.

Does anyone else have a Pepe setup that could offer me some pointers?

Thanks!

Ocean

Ocean

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:46 am

I don't know anything about that equipment but all I can think of is that the Argentium wire is too hard for it. Argentium is supposed to be much harder than sterling silver.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Well, I hadn't thought of that. I do cut 18ga Argentium rings, but maybe they are the absolute limit...

If that's the case, that just sucks. I use a lot of Argentium.

Ocean

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51 am

Slower speeds, like realy slow, slow rpm and slow pull, try the small blade, should be fine....lube, lube, lube...I use burr-life, a wax-like stick lube.

It takes a bit of practice with the speed, I'm assuming you have a foot pedal....experiment with the lower end speeds.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Thanks
Posted on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:56 am

Thanks Kodiak, I'll try it slow and with the thinner blade. Yes, I have the foot pedal. I'm guessing if slow is the ticket I may want to invest in the rheostat so I can better control the speed.

Cheers.

Ocean

Posted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:48 am

I cut 16 gauge argentium with a Koil Cutter and a Dremel with no problems. But I do use a lot of burr life on the coil - really tons of the stuff.

I have to use the Dremel on full power with the Koil Cutter, so I suspect your issue may be related more to the lubricating, or the size of the blade, than the speed of the motor - perhaps (but as I say, my Dremel probably doesn't have the power of your machine).

Posted on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks Sophia,

I do use bur-life too, and lots of it. I spoke to a rep at Otto Frei about it. She said she thinks it's a design flaw in the coil holder. With very large diameter rings (I was cutting 11mm ID), she doesn't believe the holder gives enough support to the middle of the coil to keep it from flexing. This would seem to be a distinct possibility, as it didn't bind until about an inch into the coil.

I'm at a loss. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to pay more to get a "real" Jump Ringer setup. I want to keep the Pepe set though, because it came with a relatively huge assortment of mandrels and I love the coil winder.

Ocean

Posted on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:23 am

Ah, I don't cut rings that big - my biggest are, I think 7mm or so.

But how about putting blue painters tape around the coil? I do this on all my coils to keep them from collapsing. Perhaps that would help? (Don't forget to lube the tape well too!)

Posted on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Great idea Sophia. Does it not gum up your blade?

I broke down and ordered the original Jump Ringer system. I'm keeping the Pepe system too because I really like their coiler (it's got a keyless chuck) and it came with a bunch more mandrels than the J.R.

Sucks to have to spend all that money to get what I need though.

Ocean

Posted on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:21 pm

No it doesn't gunk it up. But I do use the blue painters tape, not regular masking tape, and I only have it on the coil for a few minutes while I'm preparing.

I'd love to know how the Jump Ringer compares.

Posted on Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:01 am

Just a few tips for a brand new Jumpringer(Grossmans)...You'll want to de-tune the block a bit...if you're a skier, you'll know what i mean...take a little 320 emery cloth, and just make the edges not so sharp...do this a little to all the corners....just a little, it will make things slide a bit smoother.

I use duct tape in the grooves/slots in the block...this acts to dampen vibration while you're cutting...trim it so the tape is in the slot only, not hanging/sloppy.

Make sure your flexshaft hand is over the coil, holding the jig, pulling straight back towards you....NOT holding the flexshaft handle

The handpiece is more substantial and better machined than the Pepe, although Ray really screwed up in starting to make the block with a longer groove...he didn't make the slot longer in the top plate, so it makes no sense....makes no sense anyway, the original block design was fine....sorry, I'm just complaining, cause he went and fixed somrthing that was'nt broke, all because some idiot was afraid the blade might cut a bit of the aluminum block at the ends of the groove...dumb...I've filled in the ends of the slot in 4 of my students Jumpringer blocks to fix them, the groove should be 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches long, centered.....all this probably doesn't make a lot of sense to most, but there, I got it out....Ray, I hope you're listening.

All in all though, Grossmans jig is machined to closer tollerances, using better materials, you'll have to decide if you like it better...

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Re: Pepe jumpring cutting disaster - Help!
Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:42 am

I bought the jump ringer basic unit about three weeks ago. I cut rings with no problem until yesterday when I tried cutting 16 gauge 7.1 ID rings. Theblade cut into the top plate and took a chunck out of my blade. I called Ray but haven't got a call back as yet. I am a neubie to chain maille and am totally hooked on it but find this very frustrating. My friend also recently bought one and she is having similar problems.
ckv
Ocean wrote:
I've been cutting my own jump rings for a while with a Pepe Jump Ring Maker and a Foredom Flexshaft. I've had very good success cutting 18 and 20 ga. Argentium wire with the smaller blade.

I needed some 16 ga. rings this weekend and tried to cut them with the (recommended) larger blade...what a disaster! The blade got bound up about an inch through the coil and then started chunking silver wire all around the room (thankfully I was wearing goggles). Never being one to give up, I cleaned everything up, checked the blade for tightness (yep, it was tight) and proper direction (I once tried to cut with the motor in reverse, but that wasn't the case here). I put in another coil of wire and tried again...same exact result...mangled rings and this time it ate all the teeth off the blade.

I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong. The coil was in the holder firmly, but not so tight as to distort its shape. The blade was tightened down and it was the larger blade.

Does anyone else have a Pepe setup that could offer me some pointers?

Thanks!

Ocean

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:26 pm

i put this together when i was having trouble getting my jumpringer to cut right.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=13308

kodiak, if you have anything to add to this, feel free to edit.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:22 pm

cverbecken, was this just a one time thing? Have you tried it again with 16ga? What material?

Few things, with tougher, heavier material, even on softer metals, silver, copper in larger ga's, you need to slow things down, both blade rpm's and slow down pulling the blade through the coil. Too fast in either or in combination may cause the blade to drift over into the plate, especially if you've got it a bit off center already.

Or, doesn't happen very often, but if this occurs at the end of the cut, maybe you've picked the blade up a bit, running up and off of the block, catching the plate screw with the blade?

Kodiak-

Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 pm

kodiak wrote:
cverbecken, was this just a one time thing? Have you tried it again with 16ga? What material?

Few things, with tougher, heavier material, even on softer metals, silver, copper in larger ga's, you need to slow things down, both blade rpm's and slow down pulling the blade through the coil. Too fast in either or in combination may cause the blade to drift over into the plate, especially if you've got it a bit off center already.

Or, doesn't happen very often, but if this occurs at the end of the cut, maybe you've picked the blade up a bit, running up and off of the block, catching the plate screw with the blade?

Kodiak-

It just started happening when I tired cutting larger rings and really haven't tried again as it took a big chip out of the blade and put a nick in the top plate. I have Ray"s Jump Ringer Basic. It has a power drill mounted on a board and you run the coil holder over the blade of the drill. I did get the Pepe jump ringer and a flex shaft and returned it for the Jump
Ringer Basic because I had problems cutting rings and also of the convenience of not having to assemble everything every time you want to cut rings. Does anyone else have this type of ring cutter? And if so do you have same problems?

Thanks so much for the quick response. I am a neubie and love this site

Thanks, Carolyn

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next