Longest Chain Project
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:10 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

what we need to do is make it long enough that we can snake it to everyone's home that participates, some several thousand miles should about do it if everyone on the site contributed 1 mile, you might pull it off :]

Submissions: 77

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:28 pm

I don't think we can drag it over the pacific...

I think it would probably require more like 20,000 miles to reach the home of everyone here.

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:16 pm

ok, my estimate of the earth's circumpherence and the number of members I thought we had, were both way way off. if everyone here contributes 10 miles we might be able to do it. Then just use a plane to get the chain off the continents

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Gnomeofdoom wrote:
ok, my estimate of the earth's circumpherence and the number of members I thought we had, were both way way off. if everyone here contributes 10 miles we might be able to do it. Then just use a plane to get the chain off the continents
Then I suppose we'll coil it into a mountain and sit high upon our chainmaille throwns?

Razz

I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas. I just think about it.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:05 pm

i think your numbers are too low, are you counting there hight above or below then next person in line, im shue it would take a lot more then 20k miles more like 250k miles. but not knowing locations its just a guess.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 pm

there's some kind of math proof to test the 'shortest path' between lots of points, but with over 5000 members it would be extremely extremely complex, circumference of the earth at the equator is 24902 mi (40076 km) and assuming most of the members are in the US (I'm just assuming, this could be far from the truth) I found this out: the area of the united states is roughly 5,984,685 miles? (9,631,418 km?) since we'd be working in straight lines and not complete area, we'd use a smal fraction of that, I'm sure if I really wanted to give myself a project for a while I could figure out a very rough estimate of how much we'd actually need

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:40 pm

As soon as I learn Hp 3-1 I will be glad to start workin on some to contribute. However, I must first learn it, and I must get a 5/16 mandrel, but I'll prolly get one within a month...still a bit long...

Sorry I can't help right now Sad

-Dustin

This space for rent.

Submissions: 11
Location: I refuse to tell you I am from Moorhead,.... oops...

Posted on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:59 am

I just got 11 lbs of wire from TRL and would be more than happy to pitch in what I can. Any particular deadline?.

Submissions: 11
Location: I refuse to tell you I am from Moorhead,.... oops...

Posted on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:06 am

I just got 11 lbs of wire from TRL and would be more than happy to pitch in what I can. Any particular deadline?. -Too bad someone could'nt find a promoter who would pay to string it along the Great Wall or drop it to the bottom of the Marriana trench or something Coif Smiley
Quote:
If someone gives you a piece of ruled paper write the other way.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2