my first exhibition
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 38

my first exhibition
Posted on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:34 am || Last edited by Andrew on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I recently got an invite to enter a piece into a jewellery exhibition and i need to get my entry form in by the 1st of august, the entry from requires a brief description and an estimated value, ive never realy sold any realy valuable pieces of silver jewellery before so its hard to have a guese at its value.
im thinking of makeing a test copy out of a cheap metal which has similar properties to half hard sterling and then wokring out how much silver i will need. so what would be the best metal to use for the test copy, nickle silver mabey?

i wanna make a graduated euro 4 in1 neckalce that has a 45* seam in the middle so it will be a kind of V shaped necklece, if possible ill be useing 0.1mm increments "1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8"
if any one has any advice on graduated necklaces i would be ever so thankfull to hear wisdom.

im also gonna need a good suply of mandrels so if any one knows good sources for them thatd be great.

thanks.
Andrew Smile (first prize is $1000 worth of precious metals)

Submissions: 10

Posted on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:46 pm

From my use with nickel silver it has just about the same strength of half-hard sterling. So nickel silver will be a good test in my opinion. As for mandrels of course TRL is the best choice. Though you live in Australia and i don't think you have enough time. Also i don't know what resources you have in Australia cause i live only a couple thousand miles away.

I make stuff!

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:46 am

Only thing I can think of around here with the sizes you're going to need would be knitting needles. They can still be wrongly sized though but they will probably come close enough for this. As for wire you might need to go by 0.2 increments...I think A&E skips out on a couple 0.1 increments. For test wire not even A&E has any other non precious wire in enough equal increments. It might be a case of just getting the silver and being really careful.
Estimated value...I would say there's gonna be pieces in that competition twice as easy as yours and estimated thrice as high. Take your materials cost,add a crapload onto it. I seem to remember it saying they're not going to be for sale while on show so perhaps its for insurance or something.

Siege

John Lennon once sang a song where he imagined a world with no religion at all, and how all the people would be living life in peace, which sounds like a pretty terrific philosophy to follow - but then again, John Lennon also sang a song about how he was an eggman and a walrus goo goo g'joob, so i'm not sure he was always 100 per cent reliable.

Posted on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:30 am

well, i just got an email back from a&e and they dont manufacture nickel silver to non standard sizes, so im stuffing makeing a prototype and im just gonna ask my jewellery teacher what i should charge for it
that way i can forget about stressing out and trying to do lots of stuff in less that 2 weeks
ill be able to order mandrills from trl

i just cut out a design on the necklace on cloth and it has a very egyption look!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:39 am

I'm Back!

I got the same invite as well Andrew. I wasn't going to enter but both of my jewellery tutors have told me I should, not to win but to get my name out there so to speak. Best of luck with the silver. If you had a draw plate I'd say anneal the living daylights out of the wire and draw the thing down to the sizes you need. That said I've been told that I have to make my own chenier, but I won't be. *really guilty grin and looks over the shoulder* Takes way too much time. As for price, both of my tutors have said that I should factor material cost and time into it, then turned around and said that I should put a price on where I would be happy to no longer see the piece again.

I've decided to enter the predominantly non-precious category (I also really really hate that destinction between precious and non-precious, especially when the same amount of work goes into it all). I'm looking at textured and heat treated Ti plates and chain in combo. I love heat colouring Ti, even when I make a colossal mistake, cause sometimes those mistakes have turned out better than I'd planned. Should (I hope) look pretty surreal. Best of luck, can't wait to see your work there!

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:44 am

sweet! gonna be awsome to see your work there, atleast your in a different category so theres les competetion for me Razz j/k
its gonna be awkward for me at the after party and the high tea cause every one will be so much older than me Coif LoL
cant wait to see that titanium! sounds fun

oh and good luck too!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:52 am

Doubt that I'll make it up for the party or anything. Unfortunatly. Must say that I'm the second youngest doing the course at the moment, so I kind of get what you mean. My entering the exhibition is dependant on obtaining permission to send a piece of class work up that I may not get back for assessment. Mind you if a little sawg of money finds its way into my account I'll be more than happy! Very Happy

Best of luck!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1